National Walk Safely to School Day is a community initiative that aims to raise awareness of the health, road safety, transport and environmental benefits that regular walking (especially to and from school) can provide for the long term health of our children.
This annual event encourages primary school children to walk to school every day, where possible, not just on the 20th May.
If you can’t walk all the way, why not park a reasonable walking distance from the school and let your feet do the rest? your kids will thank you for it in the long run.
Walking to school is a great way to kick start the day for all the family.
There are so many of benefits of walking to school, including:
- Teaches road safety
- Enable you to enjoy the outdoors
- Makes kids fitter and healthier
- It can be a fun and interesting experience enabling the kids to see things en route that they wouldn’t ordinarily see from the car
- It is sociable and enables the kids to walk with family, friends
- It promotes choice by allowing the kids to look at things along the way when they want
- It’s free