Home    Subscribe    Write for Us    List an Event/Business    Contact    Login
Join the Melbourne Mums Facebook Group to ask questions, seek advice, share experiences and join a vibrant and supportive community.

Advice Needed - Family Court & Child Support

by JAJ (follow)
Rating: 5/5

Advice Needed - Family Court & Child Support

I ended an incredibly emotionally abusive relationship last year, we have a 8 months old baby. My ex is depressed, violent and alcoholic most of the time. He didn't do his duty as a Dad to look after our child since our child was born but lay on his couch most of the time for the entire 40 days until he was taken by the police. He was also verbally abusive almost the entire time to throw his Dad duty on me and physically assaulted me when I asked him to look after our child. I was extremely stressed and didn't sleep for almost the entire first month looking after our newborn. I thus applied intervention order against him.

2 months later he started to contact me wanting see our child. I can't trust him because he previously put our child in danger and child protection has assessed that it's not safe to let him see our child. Besides the police has informed me he was still drinking and hasn't started the men's behaviour change course that he was referred to. What's most unbearable is he has a full time job but refused to pay child support! He hired a family law solicitor to send me a nasty letter saying asking him to pay child support was harassment and he could consider applying for a cross intervention order. He then applied for mediation, after I attended the meeting with the mediator, the mediation company cannot contact him anymore. He just never answered his phone and emails. So mediator provided us certificate 30I.

Then I found out he just lost his job which earns $100k a year, so I can't get any child support from him. He didn't pay any child support even though he had a job the first 6 months after our child was born. Now he only has $130k of superannuation. I want to apply to family court to divide his superannuation. As that's the only source of child support I can potentially get. But I'm not sure if it's worth if the family court is costing too much time and money or can I apply without a lawyer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See the answers on Facebook:

Melbourne Mums Group Facebook Page

Melbourne Mums Group Facebook Group
Melbourne Pregnancy and Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy has created an online service to bring their program to you.
To help make life a little easier for Australians, Melbourne-based Graduations Now introduced 3M masks to its range.
The Guardian Early Learning Exchange has a HUGE range of activities, resources and experiences for you to try with your little ones.
Around The Table is unlike any other meal delivery service out there. They remove the hassle of preparing meals and help turn family time into fun time!
Laundry Lady is a mobile laundry service that has been successfully helping Queensland parents stay organised with the washing since 2012, and are coming to Melbourne very soon!
ABC Quest is a fun, educational app designed to teach preschoolers the alphabet, along with phonics, colours, animals, songs, rhymes and vocabulary.
Disempowering, traumatic experiences of birth can so easily be avoided if parents are provided an opportunity to make their own, informed decisions.
When the ‘big four’ banks announced the news that Australians can pause their mortgage repayments, many Apt Wealth Home Loan clients asked the question: is this is a good idea?
Kids Club Childcare has some fantastic resources to help you survive lockdown.
Nourishing Bubs is everything you need in a baby food, but without all the hard work.
From facial masks to purifying scrubs, detanglers to smoothing spray and lipstick to lotions, this prize pack contains a HUGE number of products to make you feel AMAZING.
Do you want to learn how to knit? Or have recently started and would like to meet some new friends to share your creativity with, all while having a good chat? Melbourne Knitting Club has classes for you.
The Melbourne Crochet Club meets on a regular basis to learn crochet, meet other local mums, and to have a good chat. Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to come along.
The Geelong Crochet Club meets on a regular basis to learn crochet, meet other local mums, and to have a good chat. Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to come along.
Wooden Kingdom proudly offers a delightful collection of European wooden toys and decorations that are manufactured in the Czech Republic.
Join the conversation on the Melbourne Mums Facebook Group

Enjoy affordable family photography from MyFamilyPhoto.com.au

I like this Article - 1
[ print friendly ]
ID: 98721
January (112)
February (102)
March (138)
April (104)
May (193)
June (77)
July (89)
August (99)
September (116)
October (111)
December (120)
Copyright 2012-2018 OatLabs ABN 18113479226. mobile version